Pre-refurbishment and pre-demolition asbestos surveys
At Independent Building Works we have extensive experience providing and managing pre-refurbishment and pre-demolition asbestos surveys.
Why do I need a pre-refurbishment and pre-demolition asbestos survey?
You are legally required to carry out a pre-refurbishment asbestos survey prior to any refurbishment being carried out to the fabric of your building. This can range from a simple replacement of lighting, to a full internal fit-out. In addition a pre-demolition survey is required prior to demolition.
The surveys (formally type 3 asbestos surveys) are used to locate and describe, as far as reasonably practicable, all asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) in the building (if being demolished), or in the area due to be refurbished. Under the Construction Design and Management Regulations 2012 this report can then inform designers and contractors of the asbestos risks, so they can be addressed, and, according to CAR 2012 (regulation 7), be removed should major work be taking place.
Find out whether you require a pre-refurbishment or pre-demolition survey by contacting us today.
What do pre-refurbishment and pre-demolition asbestos surveys entail?
Pre-demolition asbestos surveys and pre-refurbishment asbestos surveys are more intrusive than a management survey. This means we may need to undertake aggressive inspection techniques to gain access to all the relevant areas we need to inspect e.g lift carpets, break through walls etc. For this reason we make sure we produce a plan of works prior to the survey, which includes:
- A site visit to gather information and identify risks to ensure the survey can be executed effectively and safely.
- An in-depth review of the scope of proposed refurbishment/demolition works, so we can identify specific areas that need focus and avoid unnecessary intrusive work.
- Declaring any assistance we may need from specialists such as electricians, structural engineers etc.
- Declaring any areas that need to be vacated during or following the survey.
- Detailing any utilities e.g gas, electrics, or machines that may need to be switched off to allow full access to the required areas.
- A detailed proposal of the areas we will survey and how we plan to do so.
Find out how we carried out a pre-refurbishment asbestos survey on a derelict hotel prior to conversion works.