Five common places asbestos is found.
If you are worried there may be asbestos present in your home or business premises, you may be interested to know the 5 most common places asbestos can be found. We do not advise you actively go looking for it however, remember we are just a phone call away.
- Roofs – Due to its insulation and fireproofing properties Asbestos cement was used to construct a large variety roofs and exterior linings. The ability to retain moisture i.e. not allowing water to pass through it results in it being effectively weatherproof. Asbestos cement sheeting was also used in eave linings under exterior sections of roofs. Corrugated sheets were constructed from asbestos cement.
- Dividing walls - Asbestos fibro sheeting was used in a similar way to modern day plasterboard or dry wall. It was strong, fire retardant, and cost effective to manufacture and very popular with builders to use predominately to construct walls. The fibro sheets were simply nailed to a wooden framework.
- Simulated brick cladding - locally manufactured asbestos-cement sheet cladding was popular due to its ease of installation and low cost. Installation was quick, sheets did not need to be painted and were considered fireproof.
- Vinyl flooring - Asbestos was commonly used in vinyl flooring in the 50s and 60s. Generally considered a low risk asbestos product, the dangerous fibres were better contained than in other materials asbestos is found in. Asbestos can be contained in both vinyl fleet flooring and vinyl asbestos tiles.
- Insulation Asbestos can be found in insulation materials commonly found in lagging around boilers, ducts, pipes, sheeting and fireplaces. Not all types of asbestos are dangerous but there are several potentially fatal diseases related to inhalation of asbestos fibres including mesothelioma, asbestosis, interstitial fibrosis, pneumoconiosis and lung cancer.
Whilst these are some of the common sources of asbestos, they are by no means the only possibilities. The only way to know for sure whether a material contains asbestos is to have it tested and one of the best ways to establish whether it is present is to have an asbestos survey. Contact us or phone us today 0800 644 6588.